Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Imitation as a Form of Flattery.



A very common maxim seems to be that imitation is the "sincerest form of flattery." Personally, I very much agree (with it, not whether it is common or not). I remember reading an article in The Walrus about drums, wherein the author mentioned how at a young age he would imitate the drumbeat of his favorite artists. Originality is very valued asset in our society; business relies heavily on this concept. Being original=success; originality leads directly into being successful. Innovations+inventions often lead to monetary gain. Yet there seems to be an under appreciation of imitation in the Western world (take this euphemism with a grain of salt) and what can be gained (here I am generalizing society as a whole, but its what I observe). By the author of that article imitating the drumbeats, he can perhaps perfect this style, and eventually explore his own creativity and originality. Artists are rarely considered to be plagiarizing when they attempt to imitate the world around them. Rather, it is hailed as realism and hoisted high into a style unto itself. Though that may seem to be a stretch, one can see the connection. For myself, imitation is a good "square one" to ground yourself in an established style, which (oddly enough), eventually leads into creativity and originality in its own right. Which the man would have you believe is the right path to venture upon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home